Bronze Medallion Exam from an Instructor's Point of View

Having completed all four levels of Lifesaving courses, I was supposed to take up Instructorship in order to, well, become an Instructor and have all my certificates for life (they do have 'expiry dates, where you are reqired to re-take the exams). As a first-time instructor, I was supposed to teach my students the first level of lifesaving, Bronze Medallion along with 6 other instructors.

In the beginning, I have only 3 students, normally, instructors have 5 or so students each, and well, all three have totally different swimming abilities and thus, it's super tough arranging lessons to suit that. One feels exhausted after completing a 100m swim, another is so-so and the last one is a swimmer, having represented Penang in swimming competitions.

Midway along the semester, one of my students decided to drop out (actually, come to think of it, I decided for her to drop out, since she was constantly skipping classes) and then I was only left with the other 2. Well, let's just say that being an instructor is not that easy, and you can actually gain weight!!! :( Since you are not required to swim, the only exercise you get is from the movement and flexing of the jaw area.

The exams starts at 7.30am in the morning, but the instructors and students are supposed to be there by 6.30am. I was up by 5 plus or so :( From this exam also, the examiner (Kah Ling, who has been examining Bronze Med students for quite some time now) will observe whether the instructors (us 7) are able to organise and handle the exam properly. Everything was done in a rush as Kah Ling does not like her time to go to waste, and I truly pity those students who have to perform event by event non-stop, very tiring!

But what truly is touching is when seeing some students' faces in their attempt to pass the test. One of the harder events, Underwater Swim for 25m. I was underwater and I could see all of them clearly, the looks of determination printed on their faces. And those who usually have problems with this event, but nevertheless, their motivation to pass prevails. Some even cried after passing...

It's great being an instructor, but you need to have dedication and willing to sacrifice your time to actually see results. Main thing is, I passed my Instructorship!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Georgian Adventure - Hike to Chalaadi Glacier

Our third, and last hike in Svaneti. There are so many more places to hike and explore around Georgia, it was a hard decision to premature...